Saturday, 21 July 2012

Potholder Tutorial

I decided a few weeks ago I had complained about fabric scraps for long enough, so I got to work. First, I ordered some Insul-Bright from Amazon.

Then, I practiced last weekend before the DnD game, and I made a mitten:


This turned out somewhat OK (you will be able to tell this hasn't been pressed at all though), so I decided to go a step further and make a trivet.


Here's a tutorial for how to make it!

Items needed:

  • 1 x 25cm x 25cm rectangle of insulated batting
  • 2 x 25cm x 25cm fabric; I used scraps I had left over
  • thread
  • pins
  • bias tape
  • a 5cm tape


Method:

Step 1: Sandwich the batting between the two fabric pieces
Step 2: Pin

Step 3: Quilt. Now, a note about quilting: I found it extremely difficult to quilt. The problem was that even with an even feed foot the bottom fabric would gather. I had to unpick a lot to get to something that looked ok, and the way I ultimately did it was by pulling very tightly on each side of the sewing foot. In any case, it's difficult. Maybe I'm missing something (any ideas?)



Step 4: Once you have quilted the whole square, cut the corners and make the whole thing a circle. Then, attach the ribbon:

Step 5: Then, attach the bias tape: open the bias tape, and attach it to one side. Then, turn it over and attach it to the other side as well.

You're done!


No comments:

Post a Comment