Monday, 9 July 2012

The British Summer Skirt

In my attempt to crack down on remnants, I decided to do something with the left overs from the Hippie Shirt. You see, the Hippie Shirt was supposed to be a shirt dress based on the M6035, but in the end I decided I like to have options when wearing this stuff so kept it in a shirt-only form. This gave me roughly 0.5, maybe 0.6m of fabric to play with - and what better way to use it than my modified Meringue pattern? As an aside, I had no idea that I could get the skirt done in so little fabric :)



I didn't actually have enough fabric for the full length, so I decided to add a white band at the bottom. The waistband is also only have in fashion fabric (you're supposed to cut 2xfront, 2xback, but I did two by two in fashion & white fabric). I added three other bands besides this: one white one between waistband and skirt, and two between skirt and bottom white band.



My modified pattern was a bit long last time, and this time I split it at the end of the flowery fabric, and then cut the remaining in white fabric, without adding seam allowances. This in itself took about 1inch off the length, but I also modified the hem length and did a somewhat deeper hem so that took another 1 inch or so maybe?

Finally, the fashion pieces are fully underlined with remaining white silk from the pijama. I have run this white silk through the washing machine before cutting it though. I was going to do a lining first, but then decided that an underlining was just as good, and it will require less work. It was actually quite a lot of work to get the pieces to match up, but I think worth it in the end as it saved me a world of trouble. And it looks so pretty on the inside! I would normally not underline this sort of a summer skirt but with the *ahem* wonderful weather we've been getting, I have to wear all skirts with tights.



The side seam without the zipper is a fake flat felled seam of sorts: I trimmed one seam allowance, folded the other one over and then decided that if  I just stitch this down I won't encase all edges (the silk was not quite as wide), so I zigzagged the folded over seam allowance and then stitched it down.



The  side seam with the zipper was just zigzagged - I thought about stitching down the part that is towards the back of the skirt, but in the end didn't do it.

Now for the flaws:
* a part of the skirt hem didn't get properly machine stitched (A-line skirt, turning it will cause excess fabric), so I need to hand stitch it.
* the back waistband just looks weird, and I managed to stitch over the white line in an area
* on the front, I have the white line almost double the width on the left side
* I've gained weight: the skirt I made in February (or March?) from this same pattern used 5/8" seam allowances at the non-zipper side on the waistband, this one uses 3/8" and still feels snug - however, since it does sit on my waist (and now below, as per pattern instructions - I think this is my meddling with the pattern), it doesn't really show. Still, *sigh*.

All in all, a good project, and I can be matchy-matchy and wear the skirt with the shirt for total non-awesomeness.


1 comment:

  1. It's very cute. I love how the hem looks.

    Your haircut looks great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete