Saturday, 28 April 2012

Pijama party

Well, I am done. Thanks to Karen, I now have a pair of silk PJs. I really wanted to take part in this sew along, but already own way too many PJs which are rarely worn. So I figured I could do something different this time.

In all, I used roughly 1.5m of silk satin, 1m of a print and 0.5 of a white. Since it's fairly short, I won't model it in person, I do hope you understand ;)  This will officially be the first thing I own that I will have to hand wash: I would not bother, as my other silk things do fine in the washing machine but I didn't wash the fabric in the washing machine before I started, so I MUST hand wash from now on.

Here's the whole outfit:



The bottoms are a pattern I found online (I forget where). The top is the all-recognizable Colette Sorbetto. I made the pleat smaller and did not sew it down. The idea for this came from this modcloth top which is remarkably similar to this pattern!  The pleat is roughly 1/3 of the original pleat. I had enough fabric to cut the whole thing, but silk is flimsy enough that re-folding was not a good prospect :)

Better view of the pleat:


As I mentioned before, I made my own bias binding. I have to say the method I used this time was so much better! So much so that I'll provide a tutorial soon. What I can say now is: water makes things much easier!

Every seam is a french seam. This includes the crotch seam for the bottoms - I did use a different method for construction that made this easier, blogged about last week.


The bottoms I made last week and made the top quickly today. I've been wearing the bottoms all week, they're great!

As for Karen's question: I'm now reading The Anthropology of Turquoise: Reflections on Desert, Sea, Stone, and Sky by Meloy Ellen. I just started it this week: it's not a particularly easy read for me, as I need to refer to a dictionary often, but I like it very much so far!

Thank you for hosting this Karen, you're a star!

12 comments:

  1. What luxury! Silk Pyjamas. They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're great, first time I have anything of the sort. I'm very happy to have tried something new :)

      Delete
  2. So you're now the proud owner of luxurious bedtime clothes! they look great! I'm looking forward to your tutorial, I've had one go at bias binding with silky fabric and it was hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started working on it already!

      Delete
  3. Silk pjs must feel really nice and smooth. I can't imagine making silk bias binding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was a bit of a challenge.. but second time a charm!

      Delete
  4. Tha silk must feel amazing on. The set is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Silk PJs. How glamorous. I'd want to wear these all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's exactly what I plan to do.. when the weather gets better :(

      Delete
  6. Ooh nice! Very luxurious. And good on you for doing all that french seaming too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I do have to say the french seaming took its toll! I'm not sure I want to do that for a while!

      Delete